The Difference Between Trusting Feelings and Promises
- Trusting feelings is disregarding the promises and revelation of who God is and following our natural mind.
- Trusting promises is purposely setting our focus on things above, a greater confidence in God’s ability, a releasing of our thoughts or expectations in exchange for His.
How to Trust Promises
When we are born again, we must go through a renewing of the mind. A change of focus. Romans 12:2 “… be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind…”
Our feelings are determined by our focus! The goal is not to remove feelings, but rather to trust our God and His will for us, so that our feelings are changed by our expectation that God will do what He said.
Feelings will always be with us, what we feel and how it affects us is determined by what we expect.
2 Kings 6:14-17
“4 So one night the king of Aram sent a great army with many chariots and horses to surround the city. 15 When the servant of the man of God got up early the next morning and went outside, there were troops, horses, and chariots everywhere. “Oh, sir, what will we do now?” the young man cried to Elisha. 16 “Don’t be afraid!” Elisha told him. “For there are more on our side than on theirs!” 17 Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!” The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire.”
From Fear to Courage
The servant went from feelings of fear to feelings courage in an instant based off what he could see. The servant was focused on what the natural eye could see and Elisha was focused on what the supernatural eye could see.
We will see what we focus on.
What is Your Focus?
So what are you focused on? Are you focused on the things naturally around you or do you see through the eyes of God, based off His promises and supernatural revelation?
Elisha knew what was available to him to see and he saw it. He saw the army of the enemy and he saw they were outnumbered, but his feelings were changed by what he saw through his God. He trusted the higher authority. The servant saw only what he thought was available to see and he saw it. To change what we feel, we have to know more about what God knows and sees. Our focus on this will change the way we feel about our situation.
So feelings are good, given by God, as we are made in His image.
“19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, 20 by loving the Lord your God, by obeying His voice, and by holding fast to Him; for this is your life and the length of your days, that you may live in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.”
- (Verse 19) How to choose life: By loving, obeying, and holding onto God’s ways
- (Verse 20) God’s Promise: That you will have life, live long, and be given the land.
“5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds (Focus) on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things (Focus) of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set (Focused) on the flesh is death, but the mind set (Focused) on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set (Focused) on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.”
- (Verse 5) Even some who are born again, if they do not focus on the Spirit will default to the flesh.
- (Verse 6) We will not need “life and peace” in heaven, this scripture is instructions with a promise for here on earth.
- (Verse 7) It is impossible to receive the law (or promises) of God if we are focused on earthly things.
- (Verse 9) The beginning of living in the Spirit is receiving the “Spirit of Christ”
God Takes Thought For YOU
Psalms 8:4 “What is man that You take thought of him, And the son of man that You care for him?”
Do you really know how He feels about you?
Focus Your Vision on the Promises of God
“8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell (focus) on these things.”
Focused vision on the promises of God changes your feelings about any given circumstance.
- Trust Feelings: Do nothing and this will happen: Your emotions will be determined by what you see and hear with your natural mind and eyes.
- Trust Promises: Change your focus: So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants by loving the Lord your God, by obeying His voice, and by holding fast to Him; for this is your life and the length of your days